Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Recent Blessings

So, I know this blog isn't too up-to-date on my calendar of events, but I think the big event lately has been Mission Week. The SPEC team is going into a high school every day this week. It's similar to the mission I was on with SPECEast, but that was a very small primary school. This is a high school with 1000 boys (and a handful of girls). It's quite different - but I still love it!

We have been doing sessions in classrooms, a social justice rotation, and the advent program. The advent program has probably been the largest project we have taken on. We as a team came up with an outline of a modern nativity story. Mary and Joseph in modern day London. Herod is represented by Mary's overbearing father, the shepherds are a group of dancer/singer/rappers, and Jesus is born in a tube station (Angel station to be exact :) ). My part in this program is directing the band. I was expecting to be either playing piano, or watching and teaching students to play traditional carols. Boy was I wrong. I have a combo of 4 boys - all phenomenal musicians that know what they are doing. The pianist plays beautifully, and he and the guitar player can look at each other and change the feel of the song at the drop of a hat. I say "how about we do this in a different style" and the bass player starts playing a riff and the rest jump in. No planning time at all. It has been such a blessing to be able to work with such positive, competent musicians. They are truly showing the world what they can do with their gifts - way to go guys! The performance is tomorrow night - they are going to rock it! I am so excited!

On a personal level, I'm just excited to be putting on a show! I have missed rehearsing and the preparation for a performance. The adrenaline and focus and anticipation for such a grand event is something I have always loved and cherished. Now that it's missing from my life on a regular basis - I notice - big time. These are the times when I feel alive. (I suppose it's good that I'm heading into theatre :) )

This preparation has been a big topic around here during this Advent season. I'm not sure I've ever been so immersed in the Advent season. We talk about waiting and preparing all the time - and it's been very relevant as we have prepared for mission week. Now it's here, and all of the preparation is coming together - all of the waiting is coming to a climactic end - and I wonder how much of this translates to the religious side of things. Do I ever get this excited about Jesus being born? Or does it usually just pass me by? There's a big difference between showing up to watch a concert and being a part of the preparation for three months in advance. The performance always means more when we've had that personal investment. Shouldn't it be the same for Jesus? Is there a way to infuse this much excitement into the preparation for Jesus? I suppose during my life, we have had an advent calendar at home, we've gotten a Christmas tree, and decorated the house... but how do I prepare for Jesus personally - in my own heart?

I feel as if it is happening this season. Just hearing about it SO much - I can't help but have it on my mind. This year Christmas is going to be different for me - spending it with another family in a different country - on a different continent! So my usual preparations fall away. They are replaced, though, by a preparation of my heart. How will I feel spending Christmas away from home? My family will be on my mind and in my heart, but they will be far away, so what can I keep close to my heart that will be physically close as well? I can keep the miracle of Jesus extra close this year - and get my heart excited for his big performance - I'm getting involved in the rehearsal now.

But certainly - the English Christmas has been celebrated since October! But recently I have gotten the pleasure of trying mince pies, mulled wine, and Christmas pudding (Figgy pudding - like from 'We Wish You a Merry Christmas!') I have gotten the chance to attend English Christmas parties where we sit around and sing carols by a fire! We had Christmas dinner with parsnips, Brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, cranberry stuffing, and Christmas crackers with presents inside. That particular dinner also included a Swedish treat of a Santa Lucia performance! We were very lucky to experience their traditions as well.

I pray that your preparations and traditions are going well this Advent and Christmas season - You are all in my thoughts and prayers - keep me posted on your lives as well! I love you all!

No comments:

Prayer of St. Francis

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury,pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
and where there is sadness, joy.

O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek
to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive;
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.
Amen

When I'm Lost on the Road


My Lord God,
I have no idea where I am going
I do not see the road ahead of me.
I cannot know for certain where it will end.
Nor do I really know myself,
And the fact that I think I am following
your will does not mean that I am
actually doing so.

But I believe that the desire to please
you does in fact please you.
And I hope that I have that desire in all
that I am doing.
And I know that if I do this, you
will lead me by the right road
though I may know nothing about it.

Therefore will I trust you always
though I may seem to be lost
and in the shadow of death, I will
not fear, for you are ever with me
and you will never leave me
to face my perils alone.

Thomas Merton

Risk

This is a poem that was used in our training and we also used in the retreat last week. I feel it is very fitting for this adventure.

To laugh is to risk appearing the fool.
To weep is to risk appearing sentimental.
To reach for another is to risk involvement.
To expose your ideas, your dreams,before a crowd is to risk their loss.
To love is to risk not being loved in return.
To live is to risk dying.To believe is to risk despair.
To try is to risk failure.
But risks must be taken, because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.
The people who risk nothing, do nothing,have nothing, are nothing.
They may avoid suffering and sorrow,
but they cannot learn, feel, change, grow, love, live.
Chained by their attitudes they are slaves;
they have forfeited their freedom.
Only a person who risks is free.

Crisp Flavours.

England has an amazing amount and variety of Crisp (chip) Flavours! Here are a few of my favourites (like the English spelling :) )

Ready Salted
Cheese and Onion
Roast Chicken
Prawn Cocktail
Steak and Onion
Worcester Sauce

These are the normal ones that you'd find in a gas station. Crazy, isn't it?!

English Lingo

  • Lorry (Semi-Truck)
  • Rubber (eraser)
  • Ta (Thank You)
  • Cheers (Thank you)
  • Skip (dumpster)
  • Bin (trash can)
  • Drink (Tea)
  • Brew (Tea)
  • Cupper (Tea)
  • Chips (Fries)
  • Crisps (Chips)
  • Biscuit (cookie)
  • Chuft (Proud)
  • Lie in (sleep in)
  • Rubbish (trash)