Friday, May 29, 2009

El Camino de Santiago de Compostela

The Clean Picture
All eight of us at the airport before starting the trek.

A little over a week ago, I knew that eight of us were going on a trek across Northern Spain. I knew it was called El Camino de Sanitago de Compostela, and that we’d be walking – a lot. But that’s about it. What I have come to learn is that this pilgrimage is a journey that people have made for nearly 2000 years. It was an alternative destination when the Holy Land was too dangerous to seek. Instead, people opted to go to the resting place of St. James, who was thought to be a relative of Jesus Christ. At one point in time, pilgrimage was a religious requirement once in every Catholics life, and was often used as a penance.

These days, there are as many reasons for walking the Camino as there are people walking it. Some go for religious reasons, some for historical stimulation, and others just like walking. A common theme, though, is the feeling of closeness each pilgrim feels to another- each walking the same road – coming from different places, and heading to different places afterword. But at the present, all taking the same steps toward a common place. What a way to accompany one another. One woman offered her blister kit to us at a little cafĂ© along the way. We at dinner with people from around the world – sharing stories, suggestions, and a very real support of one another. Many walked physically alone, but no matter where you were on the trail, there was a very real presence of the others walking and of all those who had walked before.



I spoke more Spanish than I ever thought I would (in a different dialect and accent).
We survived on very little -though when it rained ALL day, it seemed like a lot when we spread it out all over our room to dry... It smelled a little :)

We ate heartily to keep our bodies healthy and working throughout the long walks. Pilgrim meals were offered at nearly every restaurant we passed – 8 or 9 euros for bread, wine, water, starter, main, and dessert! Not bad :)


There were km markers along the way to state how much longer until Santiago. Only 100km left in this picture! For us this was in the first days, but for those who have done the whole thing, this is marking the last 8th of their trip. There were also little yellow arrows pointing the way every 15 minutes or so. Amazing how much trust we could put in some bright paint!


We didn’t pack much, since we would be carrying it on our backs the whole way – but after an entire day of rain, it seemed like we packed a lot more! This is our little room with our wet gear hung all over in an attempt to dry it!

We made it! This is Annika and me in front of the Santiago Cathedral – I thought it was much prettier at night! A wonderful end to a beautiful journey.
The full facebook photo album here!
Other fun spring pics here!

No comments:

Prayer of St. Francis

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury,pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
and where there is sadness, joy.

O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek
to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive;
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.
Amen

When I'm Lost on the Road


My Lord God,
I have no idea where I am going
I do not see the road ahead of me.
I cannot know for certain where it will end.
Nor do I really know myself,
And the fact that I think I am following
your will does not mean that I am
actually doing so.

But I believe that the desire to please
you does in fact please you.
And I hope that I have that desire in all
that I am doing.
And I know that if I do this, you
will lead me by the right road
though I may know nothing about it.

Therefore will I trust you always
though I may seem to be lost
and in the shadow of death, I will
not fear, for you are ever with me
and you will never leave me
to face my perils alone.

Thomas Merton

Risk

This is a poem that was used in our training and we also used in the retreat last week. I feel it is very fitting for this adventure.

To laugh is to risk appearing the fool.
To weep is to risk appearing sentimental.
To reach for another is to risk involvement.
To expose your ideas, your dreams,before a crowd is to risk their loss.
To love is to risk not being loved in return.
To live is to risk dying.To believe is to risk despair.
To try is to risk failure.
But risks must be taken, because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.
The people who risk nothing, do nothing,have nothing, are nothing.
They may avoid suffering and sorrow,
but they cannot learn, feel, change, grow, love, live.
Chained by their attitudes they are slaves;
they have forfeited their freedom.
Only a person who risks is free.

Crisp Flavours.

England has an amazing amount and variety of Crisp (chip) Flavours! Here are a few of my favourites (like the English spelling :) )

Ready Salted
Cheese and Onion
Roast Chicken
Prawn Cocktail
Steak and Onion
Worcester Sauce

These are the normal ones that you'd find in a gas station. Crazy, isn't it?!

English Lingo

  • Lorry (Semi-Truck)
  • Rubber (eraser)
  • Ta (Thank You)
  • Cheers (Thank you)
  • Skip (dumpster)
  • Bin (trash can)
  • Drink (Tea)
  • Brew (Tea)
  • Cupper (Tea)
  • Chips (Fries)
  • Crisps (Chips)
  • Biscuit (cookie)
  • Chuft (Proud)
  • Lie in (sleep in)
  • Rubbish (trash)