Sunday, September 14, 2008

Snowdonia!

Yea - when I mentioned that the hike sounded more like a walk... I was wrong. We summited a Mountain! it was 1085 metres high - about a third of the height of Mt. Baker. For the majority of the hike we found ourselves in clouds, but when the wind blew hard and the fog cleared for just a few moments... it was breathtaking!

The terrain was much more rocky than at home. I'm used to dirt trails and lots of trees, but Mt. Snowdon was rocks and field. A portion of the hike I would deem climbing even. There were lots of sheep as well - all over Wales actually- just roaming about, grazing on the grass.

The retreat was wonderful. Our days were spent hiking, biking, and exploring some of the cute towns in Wales, and our evenings were filled with discussion of what it means to live in community with one another as well as some fun and games :)
I have really enjoyed our talks about community. In my years at school, at camp, in theatre, the topic of community hasn't been truly taken on as a subject. That's a lie - I have a vague memory of singing a song about community at Deming elementary - anyone out there know what I'm talking about? Anyway - there were 7 main elements of community we talked about, but the one that got me most excited (surprisingly) was 'celebrate'. It was suggested that we have an events calendar that housed our favorite holidays, birthdays, etc. My mind started spinning about planning events and doing special things for special people. I can't wait to get started!

Some highlights from our Snowdonia Trip:
Day one was probably the muddiest for our entire group. Half of the group chose to mountain bike the trails around our hill of the day. The rest of us decided to walk to our picnic destination. As we began to walk, Simon suggested that we plunge straight through the woods because 'it's a shortcut'. Well, only 2 people took that challenge while the rest of us continued up the main dirt road. It was a bit rainy, but other than that we were please with our choice. As we continued to study the map, we found the trail that we deemed the quickest, and took that turn. Our main leadership continued on the main road, but the rest of us were confident in our decision. Somewhere, though, we took a turn to what we thought was a small trail, but ended up being a small stream. Definitely NOT a trail. We plunged through anyway, walking through the stream and pushing our way through thick branches. I had a blast! Never in my life have I thought "hey, I think it would be fun to go create a trail!" But I really enjoyed myself. Here's a glimpse at our challenge.


Day 2 was the big hike up Mt. Snowdon. I was in the slow group, and boy was I thankful! That thing was pretty steep. I had a really good time, though, and was proud of myself for summiting a mountain - the highest in England and Wales too! It was really really windy, hence the superman picture to the right - we couldn't resist!

Day 3 I didn't take any pictures, but it's worth mentioning that we did a high ropes course that at it's highest was 52 feet, and the final element was 40 feet, which is significant when you know that the last element was basically a free fall for 30 feet until the thing we were hooked into slowed us down- it was awesome!
For more Pictures of Snowdonia, click here
For even more, click on this one

No comments:

Prayer of St. Francis

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury,pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
and where there is sadness, joy.

O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek
to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive;
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.
Amen

When I'm Lost on the Road


My Lord God,
I have no idea where I am going
I do not see the road ahead of me.
I cannot know for certain where it will end.
Nor do I really know myself,
And the fact that I think I am following
your will does not mean that I am
actually doing so.

But I believe that the desire to please
you does in fact please you.
And I hope that I have that desire in all
that I am doing.
And I know that if I do this, you
will lead me by the right road
though I may know nothing about it.

Therefore will I trust you always
though I may seem to be lost
and in the shadow of death, I will
not fear, for you are ever with me
and you will never leave me
to face my perils alone.

Thomas Merton

Risk

This is a poem that was used in our training and we also used in the retreat last week. I feel it is very fitting for this adventure.

To laugh is to risk appearing the fool.
To weep is to risk appearing sentimental.
To reach for another is to risk involvement.
To expose your ideas, your dreams,before a crowd is to risk their loss.
To love is to risk not being loved in return.
To live is to risk dying.To believe is to risk despair.
To try is to risk failure.
But risks must be taken, because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.
The people who risk nothing, do nothing,have nothing, are nothing.
They may avoid suffering and sorrow,
but they cannot learn, feel, change, grow, love, live.
Chained by their attitudes they are slaves;
they have forfeited their freedom.
Only a person who risks is free.

Crisp Flavours.

England has an amazing amount and variety of Crisp (chip) Flavours! Here are a few of my favourites (like the English spelling :) )

Ready Salted
Cheese and Onion
Roast Chicken
Prawn Cocktail
Steak and Onion
Worcester Sauce

These are the normal ones that you'd find in a gas station. Crazy, isn't it?!

English Lingo

  • Lorry (Semi-Truck)
  • Rubber (eraser)
  • Ta (Thank You)
  • Cheers (Thank you)
  • Skip (dumpster)
  • Bin (trash can)
  • Drink (Tea)
  • Brew (Tea)
  • Cupper (Tea)
  • Chips (Fries)
  • Crisps (Chips)
  • Biscuit (cookie)
  • Chuft (Proud)
  • Lie in (sleep in)
  • Rubbish (trash)