Thursday, September 4, 2008

Well, week one of training is nearly through - and boy has it been awesome! Through our sessions, I have come to learn quite a bit more about what it is that I am doing this year! The project is a 'residential' program mostly, which is British for 'Overnight retreat'. Basically, if you think of a youth group retreat and mix it with a week of summer camp, you get a SPEC retreat. Most of the groups that come are from Catholic Schools in the Westminster Diocese. They come to us for 3 days 2 nights typically, and we put on the retreat for them. We do a mixture of sessions that fit the theme of the retreat, outdoor activites, and prayer. It's really up my alley, but rather new in a lot of ways as well. There are many moments that remind me of camp, but they are different enough that I'm definitely learning something new.

Some practical speak - I have an address now! It is as follows:


Allison Sutton
SPEC, All Saints Pastoral Centre
Shenley Lane London Colney
St. Albans
HERTS
AL2 1AG


Long, isn't it? I really have been enjoying the British - the tea, complaining about the weather.. :) I was chatting with my friend Melanie, who lives just 20 minutes from central London, and she was sharing with me that, though stereotypes, she and many Brits will claim them and be proud. The pride in their nation is something that I'm not too used to, coming from the US. It's been very fun to hear people speak so fondly of where they come from. That doesn't stop with the Brits, though. I have chatted a bit about Sweden with my friend Sara, and have shared great conversation about our homes with Anthony from Zimbabwe.

Home is such a personal thing. Someone once said that when you go somewhere, you don't learn a whole lot about that place, but you sure do get to know your home better. It's true. Explaining to people what the US, Washington, and Deming are like has made me realize the different things I really value about them, and what qualities are really relevant. It's so easy to look past these things while they are present.

The SPEC Centre, St. Albans, England - they are beautiful. Here are a few pictures of the site:







The back door to the main house. This is where most of the SPEC meeting rooms, offices, 2 chapels, and some team member housing resides. I live in this building, which I love! There are 7 volunteers that live here, and we are getting along famously! We have stayed up having deep theological disscussions and watched half a season of 'Friends' together already :)











This building is known as 'The Loft'. The Loft is the Children's project for ages 7-14- they do a few residential programs, but more often than not it is a day program. Children come with their school groups, sing silly songs, play games, do crafts, and have sessions fitting their theme - depending on age. There are no shoes worn in this building, which I think is pretty fun, and the decorations are very bright and inviting.


For more pictures of the grounds and my room etc. Check out my facebook pictures - just click on this link:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2056678&l=6ec66&id=39207159


The staff and volunteers are headed out to Snowdonia in Wales on Sunday for a retreat of our own. I imagine we'll be doing a lot of team building, and there has been talk of a hike, which I think in WA terms is more of a walk, but it sounds beautiful none-the-less :) I'll keep everyone posted. Also - if you'd like to be in touch, feel free to comment here, or shoot me an email at allicat_smile@hotmail.com

Much Love to you all! Cheers!
Allison

No comments:

Prayer of St. Francis

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury,pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
and where there is sadness, joy.

O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek
to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive;
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.
Amen

When I'm Lost on the Road


My Lord God,
I have no idea where I am going
I do not see the road ahead of me.
I cannot know for certain where it will end.
Nor do I really know myself,
And the fact that I think I am following
your will does not mean that I am
actually doing so.

But I believe that the desire to please
you does in fact please you.
And I hope that I have that desire in all
that I am doing.
And I know that if I do this, you
will lead me by the right road
though I may know nothing about it.

Therefore will I trust you always
though I may seem to be lost
and in the shadow of death, I will
not fear, for you are ever with me
and you will never leave me
to face my perils alone.

Thomas Merton

Risk

This is a poem that was used in our training and we also used in the retreat last week. I feel it is very fitting for this adventure.

To laugh is to risk appearing the fool.
To weep is to risk appearing sentimental.
To reach for another is to risk involvement.
To expose your ideas, your dreams,before a crowd is to risk their loss.
To love is to risk not being loved in return.
To live is to risk dying.To believe is to risk despair.
To try is to risk failure.
But risks must be taken, because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.
The people who risk nothing, do nothing,have nothing, are nothing.
They may avoid suffering and sorrow,
but they cannot learn, feel, change, grow, love, live.
Chained by their attitudes they are slaves;
they have forfeited their freedom.
Only a person who risks is free.

Crisp Flavours.

England has an amazing amount and variety of Crisp (chip) Flavours! Here are a few of my favourites (like the English spelling :) )

Ready Salted
Cheese and Onion
Roast Chicken
Prawn Cocktail
Steak and Onion
Worcester Sauce

These are the normal ones that you'd find in a gas station. Crazy, isn't it?!

English Lingo

  • Lorry (Semi-Truck)
  • Rubber (eraser)
  • Ta (Thank You)
  • Cheers (Thank you)
  • Skip (dumpster)
  • Bin (trash can)
  • Drink (Tea)
  • Brew (Tea)
  • Cupper (Tea)
  • Chips (Fries)
  • Crisps (Chips)
  • Biscuit (cookie)
  • Chuft (Proud)
  • Lie in (sleep in)
  • Rubbish (trash)