Thursday, March 26, 2009

Religion in Schools

From a recent trip to Portchester Castle (near Portsmouth)

I was blessed to stay with Katie and Victor (fellow ex-pats).

They welcomed me into their home and I got a chance to explore their amazing town!

Daffodils are like wildflowers here... everywhere!

When I began volunteering in this Catholic retreat centre, it was no surprise that the groups that came here were either from Catholic parishes or Catholic schools. What was surprising was how many there have been. Hertfordshire (our county) just seems to keep pumping out groups of Catholic students. I have grown up in the US where there are a smattering of Christian schools, but they are all private, and definitely not the norm. Our country has chosen to keep the two separate generally. So one of my standard questions to young people is "So, what do you think of having religion in your school?" because it is so foreign to me. Their responses always include a kind of blank look and something to the effect of "it's alright...".

Well, as I have discovered (I mean, I knew this, but I didn't quite realize this) is that the majority of schools in England are Catholic schools. To these young people, having religious education as a part of their studies is completely standard - they know nothing different, and are surprised when I tell them how separated the two are where I come from.

To me, having a class where we pray, and going to a school that builds in time for worship is bizarre. But these schools, like US schools are graded on performance in math in science, are also evaluated on their religious life.
My automatic assumption is that English students have greater opportunity to explore their faith, learn about their religion, and strengthen their community in a religious way. But I am discovering that it may do the opposite. By having religion as a standard subject, it makes it quantifiable, and takes away those more 'spiritual' experiences that one might experience in a parish that focuses more on the worship, fellowship, and prayer life. When these young people come to SPEC, a place that does focus on the latter mentioned areas in a way relateable to their generation, they are pretty surprised. Many comments in their evaluations say "I learned that being Christian can be cool", "I actually prayed during prayer" and things like that.

I look back on my own experience, and I really had to choose Christianity. I mean, my parents certainly had a say in my location on Sunday mornings and Thursday nights (choir :) ), but as I grew, it became something I owned for myself. Had it been a school subject, I could have just sailed through, experiencing it every day with all my friends, but because it was somewhat counter-cultural, it gave me the opportunity to embrace and value my beliefs as my own.

For more pictures of Portchester, click here.
For pictures of a recent trip to Oxford, click here.
For some SPEC social events, click here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Alli, Great ruminations on the subject of religious education in schools. (Ha, I just looked up "ruminate" in the dictionary and had a good chuckle.) I think you're conclusions are right-on. However, that means there is all the more need to intentionally seek opportunities to learn (and keep learning) to lay that good foundation for God's spirit to come and dwell. XOX from Bonnie

Prayer of St. Francis

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury,pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
and where there is sadness, joy.

O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek
to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive;
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.
Amen

When I'm Lost on the Road


My Lord God,
I have no idea where I am going
I do not see the road ahead of me.
I cannot know for certain where it will end.
Nor do I really know myself,
And the fact that I think I am following
your will does not mean that I am
actually doing so.

But I believe that the desire to please
you does in fact please you.
And I hope that I have that desire in all
that I am doing.
And I know that if I do this, you
will lead me by the right road
though I may know nothing about it.

Therefore will I trust you always
though I may seem to be lost
and in the shadow of death, I will
not fear, for you are ever with me
and you will never leave me
to face my perils alone.

Thomas Merton

Risk

This is a poem that was used in our training and we also used in the retreat last week. I feel it is very fitting for this adventure.

To laugh is to risk appearing the fool.
To weep is to risk appearing sentimental.
To reach for another is to risk involvement.
To expose your ideas, your dreams,before a crowd is to risk their loss.
To love is to risk not being loved in return.
To live is to risk dying.To believe is to risk despair.
To try is to risk failure.
But risks must be taken, because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.
The people who risk nothing, do nothing,have nothing, are nothing.
They may avoid suffering and sorrow,
but they cannot learn, feel, change, grow, love, live.
Chained by their attitudes they are slaves;
they have forfeited their freedom.
Only a person who risks is free.

Crisp Flavours.

England has an amazing amount and variety of Crisp (chip) Flavours! Here are a few of my favourites (like the English spelling :) )

Ready Salted
Cheese and Onion
Roast Chicken
Prawn Cocktail
Steak and Onion
Worcester Sauce

These are the normal ones that you'd find in a gas station. Crazy, isn't it?!

English Lingo

  • Lorry (Semi-Truck)
  • Rubber (eraser)
  • Ta (Thank You)
  • Cheers (Thank you)
  • Skip (dumpster)
  • Bin (trash can)
  • Drink (Tea)
  • Brew (Tea)
  • Cupper (Tea)
  • Chips (Fries)
  • Crisps (Chips)
  • Biscuit (cookie)
  • Chuft (Proud)
  • Lie in (sleep in)
  • Rubbish (trash)